Friday, October 3, 2008

Confucius Said...

Sharing with you a quote from Confucius that I like a lot, as seen on the caligraphy on the right. What this means is, to learn from those that you respect, as well as those that you don't. There is always learnings that we can get and grow ourselves if we were to really look and not just see, listen and not just hear. I remember in my MBA days, my professor mandate us to keep a log book which would form part of the project where we are supposed to record things that happen in our every day life, reflect upon the learnings and put down our execution plans. It was a chore then, but now, looking back, that is a good way of action learning. I remembering recording positive things that my boss did and commented that I would do like wish to my own team members. I also recorded events where I see negative demonstrations like my boss scolding my colleague in front of his peers and subordinates which I reminded myself never to do that. So, there is always things that we can learn from each other as we interact and work together.

Bill was sharing with Amos, Nicole, Eliza and a few others yesterday at our i.luminate appreciation lunch how we should be like Chinese "double boiled soup" where under intense pressure like a pressure cooker, the best "essence" can be formed. That was a very good analogy. A lot of time, you look back and it is really those tough moments that you remember and helped us grew. I am always amazed at Bill's energy and his passion in driving SingTel Business Group, shaping the market landscape. Another Confucius saying is that, if one do not have any immediate worries, the danger is in fact looming ahead (Ren Wo Jing Yu, Bi You Yuan Lu). With such a leader that is constantly looking far ahead and moving the team in the right direction, we should be grateful. It is indeed exciting working with such a dynamic leader...(No..not saying to score point).

So, team, let's continue to share our learnings among us and continue to i.luminate our way ahead!

Regards,

Geok Chwee